What is a Catalytic Converter?A Catalytic Converter is an emissions control device that converts harmful pollutants into less harmful emissions before leaving a vehicle’s exhaust. Buying the right catalytic converter is essential for your vehicle to be legally registered and driven on public roads.
When buying a catalytic converter, there are several things to consider:
- Direct-fit or Universal: A Direct-fit Catalytic Converter is made to fit directly into the vehicle, offering hassle-free installation with basic hand tools and no cutting or welding. A Universal Catalytic Converter often requires professional installation because exhaust pipe cutting, welding or articulation is necessary.
- California or 49-state: The appropriate converter for your vehicle depends on whether it is registered and operated in California (CARB Compliant Catalytic Converters) or one of the other 49 states (Federal EPA Compliant Catalytic Converters).
For 49-state (non-California) vehicles manufactured since 1996 (OBD II), there are two choices: HM (Heavy Metal) or OEM-grade.
- Check the emissions tag in the engine compartment, which should be located on the underside of the hood, on the radiator core support or on one of the strut towers.
- The emissions tag specifies the type of converter on your vehicle: two-way, three-way plus air or three-way.
- Engine size and gross vehicle weight are also found on the emissions tag.
- Use the emissions tag information to guide you through the Shop by Vehicle tool on MagnaFlow.com.
For pre-OBD II vehicles registered in California:
- Year, make and model of the vehicle are used to select the appropriate catalytic converter.
- The Shop by Vehicle tool on MagnaFlow.com will help you make the right selection.
Selecting the right converter
Step 1Locate your "Vehicle Emissions Control Information" (VECI) tag on or near one of three locations:
- The underside of the hood
- Suspension Tower
- Radiator Shroud
Step 2Depending on if your vehicle is registered inside or outside the state of CA, NY or ME will determine which of the following information you will need. You should choose from the two options below.
- Option 1: For OBDII vehicles registered and operated INSIDE of the state of CA, NY, ME or CO:
- Locate the EFN (Engine Family Displacement) Code
- Option 2: For OBDII vehicles registered and operated OUTSIDE the state of CA, NY, ME or CO:
- Determine the Emissions Level
Step 3Using all information gathered, you can shop all available Catalytic Converters online for your Car, Truck, or SUV by entering your vehicle details on our Shop by Vehicle tool.
All MagnaFlow catalytic converters are backed by a limited 5-year/50,000 mile construction warranty and a limited 25,000-mile emissions warranty.
Have questions? Give us a call at 1-800-990-0905. You can also refer to MagnaFlow’s 49-state and California MagnaFlow catalogs.